Dr. Mukul B. Patil, M.D.
Dr. Patil was raised in Sarver, PA in Butler County. After graduating from Freeport High School, he completed his undergraduate studies at Northwestern University and continued at Northwestern's Feinberg School of Medicine. He went further west for his urology training at the Los Angeles County and University of Southern California Medical Center. At USC, one of the nation's original Comprehensive Cancer Centers, he gained extensive and comprehensive experience in traditional open surgery, as well as robotic and minimally invasive surgeries. During his training, he also developed his interest in urologic reconstruction to restore quality of life for cancer patients. He completed a fellowship at a recognized Center of Excellence, focusing on surgery for erectile dysfunction, Peyronie's disease and urinary incontinence.
Dr. Patil's interests include the treatment of erectile dysfunction, low testosterone, urinary incontinence, radiation injury, kidney stones, urinary symptoms; bladder, prostate, and kidney cancers. He also performs minimally invasive vasectomy surgery. He has been recognized for his commitment to excellence and personalized patient care.
Dr. Patil and his family are happy to be back in home in Pennsylvania, where they can enjoy Steeler football, Penguin hockey and Pirates baseball.
Work Experience / Hospital Affiliations
- Tri-County Urology, 2016-Present
- Uniontown Hospital, 2016-Present
- Washington Hospital, 2016-Present
- UPMC Passavant and UPMC Mercy Hospitals, 2014-2016
- University of Southern California, Keck Hospital– Faculty Fellow, 2013-2014
- Urology Fellowship – Genitourinary Prosthetics & Reconstruction
University of Southern California, 2013-2014
Los Angeles, California
- Urology Residency
University of Southern California, 2008-2013
Los Angeles, California
- Surgical Internship
University of Southern California, 2007-2008
Los Angeles, California
- Doctor of Medicine
Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, 2007
- Honors Program in Medical Education; Bachelor of Arts, Economics
Northwestern University, 2003
Research Experience / Publications
- Productivity and cost implications of implementing electronic medical records into an ambulatory surgical subspecialty clinic. Patil M, Puri L, Gonzalez CM. Urology. 2008 Feb; 71 (2):173-7; Jun; 71(6):1234.
- A prospective, randomized trial evaluating the use of hydrogel coated latex versus all silicone urethral catheters after urethral reconstructive surgery. Erickson BA, Navai N, Patil M, Chang A, Gonzalez CM. J Urol. 2008 Jan; 179(1):203-6.
- Laparoendoscopic Single-Site Nephrectomy in Pediatric Patients: Initial Clinical Series of Infants to Adolescents. Koh CJ, De Filippo RE, Chang AY, Hardy BE, Berger A, Eisenberg M, Patil M, Aron M, Gill IS, Desai MM. Urology. 2010 Dec; 76(6):1457-61.
- "Zero Ischemia" Partial Nephrectomy: Novel Laparoscopic and Robotic Technique. Gill IS, Eisenberg MS, Aron M, Berger A, Ukimura O, Patil MB, Campese V, Thangathurai D, Desai MM.
Eur Urol. 2011 Jan; 59(1):128-34.
- Innovations in laparoscopic and robotic partial nephrectomy: a novel 'zero ischemia' technique.
Eisenberg MS, Patil MB, Thangathurai D, Gill IS. Curr Opin Urol. 2011 Mar;21(2):93-8.
- Face, Content, and Construct Validity of a Novel Robotic Surgery Simulator.
Hung AJ, Zehnder P, Patil MB, Cai J, Ng C, Aron M, Gill IS, Desai MM. J Urol. 2011 Sep; 186(3):1019-25.
- "Zero-Ischemia" Robotic and Laparoscopic Partial Nephrectomy
Patil MB and Gill IS. BJU International. 2011 Sep;108(5):780-92.
- Anatomic Renal Artery Branch Microdissection to Facilitate Zero-Ischemia Partial Nephrectomy.
Ng CK, Gill IS, Patil MB, Hung AJ, Berger AK, de Castro Abreu AL, Nakamoto M, Eisenberg MS, Ukimura O, Thangathurai D, Aron M, Desai MM. Eur Urol. 2012; Jan 61(1):67-74.
- Concurrent and Predictive Validation of a Novel Robotic Surgery Simulator: A Prospective, Randomized Study
Hung AJ, Patil MB, Zehnder P, Cai J, Ng CK, Aron M, Gill IS, Desai MM. J Urol. 2012; Feb 187(2): 630-7.
- Renal Cell Carcinoma with Inferior Vena Cava Tumor Thrombus and Metastatic Caval Wall Invasion.
Loh-Doyle JC, Patil MB, Daneshmand S. Urology. 2012 Feb; 79(2):e6-8.
- Early Comparison of Nephrectomy Options in Children (Open, Transperitoneal Laparoscopic, Laparo-Endoscopic Single Site (LESS), and Robotic Surgery). Kim PH, Patil MB, Kim SS, Dorey FJ, De Filippo RE, Chang AY, Hardy BE, Gill IS, Desai MM, Koh CJ. BJU Int. 2012 Mar;109(6):910-5.
- Eliminating Global Renal Ischemia During Partial Nephrectomy
Patil MB, Lee DJ, and Gill IS. Curr Opin Urol. 2012 Mar; 22(2):83-7.
- Zero ischemia anatomical partial nephrectomy: a novel approach.
Gill IS, Patil MB, de Castro Abreu AL, Ng C, Cai J, Berger A, Eisenberg MS, Nakamoto M, Ukimura O, Goh AC, Thangathurai D, Aron M, Desai MM. J Urol. 2012 Mar; 187(3):807-15.
- Validation of a novel robotic-assisted partial nephrectomy surgical training model.
Hung AJ, Ng C, Patil MB, Zehnder P, Huang E, Aron M, Gill IS, Desai MM. BJU Int. 2012 Sep;110(6):870-4.
- Level III-IV Inferior Vena Caval Thrombectomy Without Cardiopulmonary Bypass: Long-Term Experience with Intrapericardial Control. Patil MB, Montez J, Loh-Doyle J, Cai J, Skinner EC, Schuckman A, Thangathurai D, Skinner DG, Daneshmand S. J Urol. 2014 Sep;192(3):682-8.
- Total Bladder and Posterior Urethral Reconstruction: Salvage Technique for Defunctionalized Bladder with Recalcitrant Posterior Urethral Stenosis. Patil MB, Hannoun D, Reyblat P, Boyd SD. J Urol. 2015 May;193(5):1649-54.
- Inflatable Penile Prosthesis Placement with Peyronie's Plaque Incision and GORE-TEX® Grafting.
Patil MB, Tygenhof E, Boyd SD. Article in submission.
Awards / Presentations
- 2003 Phi Beta Kappa, Northwestern University
- 2003 Magna Cum Laude, Northwestern University
- 2001-03 K. Brooks and Susan K. Abernathy Scholarship
- 2007 Keio University – Feinberg School of Medicine Exchange Scholarship
- 2010 Earl F. Nation Resident Scholarship, Western Section American Urological Association
- 2012 John P. Stein Memorial Award
- 2013 American Medical Systems, Fellowship Grant
- American Board of Urology
- American Urological Association
- Sexual Medicine Society of North America
- American Association of Clinical Urologists
- Pennsylvania Medical Society